During the Covid-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic we are still able to visit you at home.
Keeping you safe
We understand that you may have some concerns around health and hygiene at this time, so we’ve taken a number of steps to ensure that you and your optician remain safe during our home visits.
- Each of our visiting opticians have carried out specialist training on the proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE) and infection control.
- They will thoroughly disinfect equipment and surfaces used in your home to ensure that everything is sterile, and adhere to high standards of handwashing.
- Your optician will always put on new PPE (including face masks, aprons and gloves) during each home visit, and if you are able to, you might also be asked to wear a face mask too.
If you have any questions or concerns about safety, feel free to ask a member of our team when you book your home visit. Or click here to read more.
Our team of mobile opticians provide a comprehensive eyecare service to those who cannot get to us without assistance. You can benefit from a free NHS-funded eye test, great offers and high standards of care all from the comfort of your own home.
You may qualify for a free NHS-funded eye test at home if you are unable to visit an optician unaccompanied due to physical or mental disability, and are any of the following:
- Aged 60 or over
- Registered blind or partially sighted
- Diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- Considered to be at risk of glaucoma, as advised by an optician
- Aged 40 or over and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma
- Receiving benefit * - Entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate - On a low income and named on a valid HC2 (full help) or HC3 (partial help) certificate
- Eligible for an NHS Complex Lens Voucher (our optician will advise on the entitlement)
You can request a home visit using the online form or by calling us on 0800 198 1132. We’ll take a few details to ensure that you are eligible for a free home eye test and then arrange a convenient time to visit.
Optician carries out eye test at home Your optician will visit your home at a pre-arranged time and will call an hour before to check it’s still convenient. They’ll ask about your eyecare history and any problems you may be having. They’ll then conduct an eye test, using specialised equipment for use in the home. If your eye test shows that you need glasses, we’ll help you choose from our huge collection, in prices ranging from £25 to £169.
If you qualify for NHS funding towards the cost of glasses, you may be eligible for a free pair. We’ll deliver your new glasses within 14 days of our visit. We’ll let you know if they take any longer, as your glasses are individually made to your prescription.
You’ll also receive a written record of the outcome of your eye test and the glasses you’ve chosen.
Contact name: Specsavers Home Tests
Phone number: 0800 198 1137
Eligibility: Anyone who is unable to attend a practice unaccompanied due to a physical or mental disability are eligible for a home visit eye examination.
Published: 09 August 2019