Barnsley Homeless Alliance is made up of organisations and charities that support local homeless people. We work together to provide food, clothing, housing, medical care and substance misuse services to help give a future to those on the street through practical and compassionate support and advice.
We're often asked about how people can help and get involved and the generosity of people in Barnsley is fantastic and we'd like to give a greater understanding of how your time and money can be used in the best way possible to support those who are homeless or begging.
Helping rough sleepers and people who beg is not always about giving them money on the street. There are many ways we can help people who, for whatever reason, find themselves in these circumstances. You can help by telling us about someone who is sleeping rough, giving your time, money or donations. All of these, how big or small, can support people to give them a brighter and healthier future off the streets.
Ways to Help:
- Every little helps, volunteering, donating clothes, toiletries, food or money.
- Talking to those who are begging and buying them some food or a drink.
- Buying a copy of The Big Issue from street vendors.
- Spreading the word about the Homeless Alliance.
Donations received by Barnsley Homeless Alliance are passed to organisations directly supporting those who are begging or homeless.
Volunteer your time
You can volunteer your time with local charities and organisations who help people who are homeless. Doing this will really make a difference to people's lives in the community.
You can look for volunteering opportunities on the Barnsley CVS website.
Donate food or clothing
You can donate food, clothing and toiletries for us to pass on to organisations that help those in need. These can be dropped off at the Civic Hall on Eldon Street.
We're currently in need of the items below:
- food: cereal and cereal bars, packet soups, biscuits, crisps, bottled water, long-life fruit juice, long-life milk, sugar, tea, coffee, tinned foods (preferably ring-pull opening)
- toiletries: face wipes, deodorant, shower gel, shampoo, toothbrushes and toothpaste, hair brushes, sanitary products
- clothing: hats, scarves, gloves, coats and new underwear
- sleeping bags
Barnsley Churches Drop-In are also in need of the below items, which you can donate to them at Temperance House on Pitt Street on Mondays between 10am and 12pm, and Thursdays and Fridays from 12pm to 2pm:
- food: coffee and tea bags, tins of baked beans, chopped tomatoes, potatoes and carrots, gravy granules, cheese
- toiletries: shower gel, shampoo and conditioner, roll-on deodorant
- clothing - particularly t-shirts, new underwear and socks.
Contact name: Contact us through our website
Published: 09 August 2019