Locke Park was founded in 1861 when Phoebe Locke gifted 17 acres of land to be used for the benefit of the people of Barnsley. It was known as the People’s Park and officially opened on 10 June 1862. When Phoebe Locke died in 1866, a magnificent Observation Tower was erected on the highest point in the park in her memory.
It opened to the public on 20 October 1877, giving visitors 360 degree panoramic views from its two platforms. The park’s bandstand, manufactured by the Loan Foundry Company, Kirkintiloch, was added in 1908.
Locke Park is on the A6133 Park Road about a mile from junction 37 of the M1 motorway and 800m out of the town centre.
- Children's play area up to age 14
- Public toilets
- Events area
- Bowling green and pavilion
- Listed tower
- Car park
- multi use games area
- Friends group ( See our Friends of Locke Park)
Contact name: BMBC Park Services
Email address: ParkServices@barnsley.gov.uk
Role: Customer Service
Phone number: 01226 774535
Address: Barnsley Council, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG
Park Road, Barnsley, S70 1YG
Published: 09 August 2019